As a self-taught artist, I have carved wood all my life and have been scroll sawing nearly twenty years. In my wood art I incorporate patterns that are as small and intricate, adding wood- carving accents and special scroll sawing techniques to many pieces to make my work truly unique. I attribute my love for and the ability in the art of woodcarving, to my father who was an accomplished furniture maker, woodworker and a skilled bird carver. Being an amateur ornithologist, my Dad loved watching and studying birds in the field and in his spare time carving his observations.
I deeply enjoy the outdoors and the wonders of nature and have spent much time backpacking and exploring the Everglades with my son, day hiking and just enjoying the beautiful world God has created around us. Most of my artwork revolves around natural subjects, specifically wildlife. I create a wide variety of objects including birds and chip carved bird houses, as well as Welsh love spoons, whittled chains, plaques and a variety of custom requests.
I carve and saw utilizing both hard and soft woods. I have a large supply of hardwood taken from trees grown on our own property. I have made my home near Ellicottville, NY, and believe there is nothing more relaxing and fulfilling than an evening carving on my front porch!
- Participated Artist in Routes to Art – 2011
- Routes to Art Exhibition – Jamestown Community College Gallery – Olean Campus – April 6 – May 14, 2011.
- Ellicottville Memorial Library Gallery exhibition – April/May 2011.
- Little Valley Central School annual art exhibition – April, 2011.
- Art in the Park –Olean,NY – July 24, 2011
- Bonagany – Alleghany, NY – September 2011
- Routes to Art Christmas Show – December, 2011
- Seneca Virtual Arts Incubator (SAVI) – co-sponsored by Cattaraugus County Arts Council and Seneca Nation of Indians – artist education forum teaching 21 local and Seneca artists how to be in the business of being an artist. Eleven month education curriculum – 2011.
- The “Art of Selling Art” – education seminar conducted by the Arts & Business Council of Greater Boston.
- Facebook/Etsy/Website Construction class – June 6, 2011
- How to Chip Carve Eggs – Diane Harto – Woodcarved Art Studio – February, 2010
- Feather Carving Technique – Diane Harto – Woodcarved Art Studio – July, 2011
ART COUNCIL MEMBERSHIP
Cattaraugus County Arts Council
BS in Mechanical Engineering – State University of New York at Buffalo